WHAT IS THE DIGITIAL MANUFACTURING GROUP?
‘Industry 4.0’ or ‘Digital Factory’ and related concepts are hot topics in the manufacturing industry at present. In summary, these terms refer to a paradigm shift based on cyber-physical production systems that combine ICT, data and physical elements, including the workforce.
When broken down, Industry 4.0 involves developing and integrating a number of existing, emerging and disruptive technologies, such as
- Cloud computing
- Big data and analytics
- Robotics and autonomous systems
- Augmented and virtual reality,
- Novel manufacturing techniques such as 3D printing
- Gaming technology and simulation
- Industrial internet of things
The desired outcome from adopting these technologies is to increase productivity and competiveness through integrated, automated and optimised production flows. Emergent outcomes are significantly different relationships between designers, suppliers, manufacturers, integrators and customers, as well as between humans and machines, and the huge implications for future skills in manufacturing.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE GROUP?
The purpose of the SIG is three-fold:
- To further the industry’s understanding of Industry 4.0,
- To identify and share best practice in order to help manufacturing and service organisations to implement the concepts that are appropriate to them
- To represent industry before UK Government on the direction of the digitalisation agenda, to secure the support that the industry needs in order to maximise the opportunities.
The SIG exists to support business objectives, such as:
- Improved Time to market
- Enhanced Manufacturing Flexibility
- Development of customer centric products and manufacturing
- Information transparency
- Technical assistance
- Decentralised decision making
Consideration should also be given to how the implementation of I4.0 concepts will impact the supply chain & how the upper parts of the supply chain can support the dissemination of I4.0 best practice through their supply chains. The membership of the SIG will reflect this, and aims to involve:
- Primes and tier 1s
- Technology providers such as Siemens, GE,
- Enabling organisations such as the HVM Catapult centres
HOW DO I JOIN?
Contact Sameer Savani by emailing: Sameer.Savani@adsgroup.org.uk or calling: M. +44 (0)7595 863 742 - D. +44 (0)20 7091 1125
Key RolesGroup Facilitator
Go to Members Area