Today’s announcement of new investment in defence and security is a welcome step forward with the potential to support thousands of jobs in UK industry.
Major project and funding commitments announced include:
- Shipbuilding, through Type 26 and Type 31 frigates, as well as a future Type 32 to be built in the UK.
- An additional £1.5bn investment in research and development with a commitment to invest further in the Future Combat Air System.
- A Space Command capable of launching a rocket from Scotland by 2022.
- A new agency dedicated to Artificial Intelligence.
- Creation of a National Cyber Force.
ADS Chief Executive Paul Everitt said:
“This is a major and welcome commitment from the Government to invest in UK defence and security capabilities, creating 10,000 new UK jobs annually in high-value industries.
“This investment will boost our national security, help the UK address new and rapidly evolving threats by developing innovative world-class equipment, and support our economic recovery. The commitment to key projects will embed high-value design and manufacturing skills in all regions and nations of the UK for decades to come.
“It is important that the procurement regime delivers quickly and in a manner that prioritises UK industrial impact, aiding planning and clarity and helping to build back better.
“We look forward to publication of the Integrated Review in early 2021 and industry stands ready to ensure implementation of the Defence and Security Industrial Strategy best supports the contribution made to UK prosperity.”