A couple of weeks ago, ADS launched our election priorities, focusing on the new Government could put in place the foundations for substantial gains in productivity, by attracting investment, supporting innovation, and delivering a Brexit deal to sustain UK competitiveness.
The Russel Group, which represents 24 leading UK universities, have made similar asks, in particular seeking to maintain access to EU collaborative R&D programmes and support industrial strategy:
- Brexit – secure a strong outcome for universities and research, recognising the importance of mobility and multi-lateral international collaboration.
- International staff and students – deliver a new visa and immigration system that supports universities to attract and retain talented staff and students from anywhere in the world.
- Industrial strategy – work with our world-class universities as anchors for the economy and jobs locally, regionally and for the UK as a whole and support them to deliver growth across the country.
- Science, research and innovation – commit to at least current levels of planned investment for the science budget (resource and capital) and aim to make the UK even more globally competitive.
- Student experience – deliver sustainable funding for universities to provide the highest quality teaching and learning experience, in particular for high cost STEM+ subjects.