On 31 December 2020, the Brexit transition period ended. To help manage the new relationship with the EU we outline a number of key milestones throughout 2021 and beyond.
1 January 2021
Beginning of new UK-EU relationship – full customs procedures apply for exporting goods from GB to the EU.
30 April 2021
For UK based holder of EU registration(s) – deadline to notify chemical substance to HSE as a sole, joint or lead registrant, manufacturer, formulator, importer or Only Representative.
The ‘bridging mechanism’ allowing the free flow of personal data could come to an end here if either party objects to a two-month extension (and if the UK hasn’t been granted adequacy status).
30 June 2021
The ‘bridging mechanism’ allowing the free flow of personal data ends (if the UK hasn’t been granted adequacy status).
1 July 2021
CUSTOMS AND BORDERS
Full customs procedures apply for importing into the UK, following the six-month phase-in period.
28 October 2021
For UK based downstream user, Distributor, or importer of substances greater than 1T/year; deadline to provide basic information on imported substance to HSE.
1 January 2022
CUSTOMS AND BORDERS
Full customs procedures apply for importing into the UK, this is the last date that customs declarations can be deferred for six-months as part of the phase-in period.
28 October 2023
Deadline to complete registration to HSE for UK REACH grandfathered and imported substances meeting the 2-year tonnage band requirements. See gov.uk for information tonnage band requirements.
Informing us of your experiences
As we receive queries and information through our Brexit Reporting mailbox, we will create a central repository for common operational challenges and solutions on this page. Members should send any information on:
- Ease or challenges related to moving goods from GB to EU from 1 January 2021
- Experiences with Customs Agents
- Experiences with new customs systems
- Ease or challenges related to moving goods in and out of NI from 1 January 2021
- Any concerns with regards to regulation or certification of your goods and products
Acknowledging that individual company information may be commercially sensitive, it will be treated accordingly, and any questions will be responded to as soon as possible.
Useful contacts for members
For broad business support and advice contact the Government’s business support helplines:
- England – 0800 998 1098
- Scotland – 0300 303 0660
- Wales – 0300 060 3000
- Northern Ireland – 0800 181 4422
For more specific support, the following helplines might be useful:
- HMRC Customs and International Trade Helpline – 0300 322 9434
- HMRC Imports and Exports General Enquiries – 0300 200 3700
- DVSA International Road Haulage Permits – 0330 678 1117
- The Office for Product Safety and Standards – 0121 345 1201
- The Intellectual Property Office – 0300 300 2000
- Home Office – EU Settlement Scheme application resolution centre – 0300 123 7379
- UK Chemicals Helpline – 0330 159 1985