We are joined by the Australian High Commission in London for a webinar on the Australian maritime market, to promote greater awareness of the commercial opportunities there are for UK firms to do business there in the maritime defence sector.
There was already considerable interest in doing business with Australia prior to the release on 1 July 2020 of Australia’s 2020 Defence Strategic Update and 2020 Force Structure Plan, which clearly sets out a highly ambitious plan for the future enhancement of Australia’s defence capabilities. This is to include c.A$75bn (c.£41bn) to be spent enhancing its maritime capabilities between now and 2030. Meanwhile, in June 2018, the BAE Systems’ Type 26 Global Combat Ship was chosen as the preferred candidate for the Royal Australian Navy’s AU$35bn Sea 5000 Future Frigate programme to provide 9 x Hunter-class anti-submarine frigates, as the first step to Continuous Naval Shipbuilding in Australia. This has only served to further enhance interest in doing maritime business with Australia.
This webinar will feature presentations by officials from the Australian Government and BAE Systems, as well as from the UK Defence Solutions Centre on its perceptions on the potential opportunities that could present themselves for UK firms and from AUSTRADE on the considerable indigenous capabilities that already exist in Australia and should make the all-important search for local industrial partners as easy as possible.
- 09:00 – Welcome, Claire Parsons, Event Manager, ADS
- 09:02 – Opening comments, Caroline Donaghy, Director – Defence, ADS
- 09:05 – The Australian naval market, Freddie Martin, Economic and Market Analyst, UK Defence Solutions Centre
- 09:10 – The Royal Australian Navy, Captain Paul Mandziy, Naval Adviser, Australian High Commission in London
- 09.20 – The Australia Industrial Capability requirement, Jane Wood, Counsellor Defence Materiel, Australian High Commission in London
- 09:25 – The RAN’s Hunter-class frigate programme, Tom Brady, GCS Programme Management Director,BAE Systems
- 09:35 – The vital importance of partnerships with Australian industry, Andy Thompson, Director – Defence & Security, AUSTRADE, Australian High Commission in London
- 09:45 - Open forum Q&A
- 10:00 - Close, Brinley Salzmann, ADS