As Technology Advisor, Sameer is ADS’s resident ‘geek’ and has responsibility for all aspects of Engineering, Technology and Innovation across the business. Having joined in 2010 Sameer delivers projects to all of our sectors as well as across Policy, Events and Membership.
Sameer’s main role involves encouraging investment in innovation and participation in technology programmes, including;
- Helping to shape Government’s innovation policy in the favour of ADS’s sectors
- Influencing the priorities of key innovation agencies such as Innovate UK
- Connecting Members to technology collaborators including the Catapult Centres, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) and Universities
- Sign posting Members to technology funding opportunities
Sameer runs a number of groups and committees such as the Aeronautics Engineering Board, the Defence R&T Forum and the Digital Manufacturing Special Interest Group.
Typical activity includes working with and across:
- Innovate UK to develop collaborative R&D funding competitions
- Dstl to best communicate Defence S&T priorities and drive up engagement in its programmes and events
- ATI to understand industry R&T priorities, including European programmes post Brexit
- The High Value Manufacturing Catapult centres to ensure the Aerospace voice is heard within their broad range of work, including Digital Manufacturing
- ADS Group in the delivery of Futures Day, the Innovation Zone and the new Aerospace 4.0 pavilion at the Farnborough International Airshow
Sameer has always been a technology enthusiast, something that’s reflected in his earliest career choices. Having graduated with a physics degree from UCL, his first role was Research Scientist at the MOD’s Dstl, specialising in heat transfer associated with jet engines and exhausts for the purposes of developing stealth capability. Following a year-long secondment with the then SBAC, Sameer joined the SBAC-run Aerospace and Defence KTN, and excelled at the collaboration-building aspects of the role. That naturally led to him becoming ADS’s technology and innovation guru when the organisation was formed.
Promoting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) to young people is a point of passion for Sameer. In particular, he is keen to ensure the diversity agenda in the encouragement of STEM truly captures the fullest range of under-represented groups, such as the BAME, LGBT and socially deprived communities – to complement the great work that goes on in promoting women in STEM.
Interested in finding out more about joining ADS? Find out about all the benefits
Already an ADS Member? Find out more about activities, programmes and opportunities by contacting email@example.com