Brian joined ADS in 2016 as Market Development Manager for Security and Defence, focusing on the Science and Technology engagement between the Security Sector and Government. Brian also supports the Special Interest Groups which sit across the Defence and Security sectors including dual use technologies.
Brian has led a number of significant activities during his first 12 months at ADS including:
- The Counter-IED Research and Development Industry day which brought together industry, academia, military and Government to engage on future opportunities for bidding innovative research
- Facilitating briefing events and consortium building for The Home Office Communications Capabilities Development Programme (CCD) tender for a managed service provider for their Accelerated Capabilities Environment
- Co-ordinating the HMG Security S&T Information Day for Industry and Academia
- Establishing a new drone and counter-drone special interest group to provide a network and focal point for Members to engage B2B and B2G in this high profile area
- Maintaining industry engagement in the Horizon 2020 Security Research programme
Brian’s career has been on the science and technology axis. After obtaining a PhD in Chemistry, he joined the MOD as a Higher Scientific Officer. In 2000 he did his first tour of MOD Main Building as a Programme Manager and Science Adviser, and returned to the Defence Science & Technology Laboratory (Dstl) at Farnborough leading high level operational analysis for Chemical, Biological, Radiological or Nuclear (CBRN) Defence and Medical military capabilities. A second tour of Main Building saw Brian lead on delivering independent scientific advice to Ministers.
Having joined the Home Office, Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism, in 2009, Brian initially led on international engagement for science and technology in the S&T team and then headed up the S&T team. He helped establish the Security Industry Engagement team, and his final role in the Civil Service was as Head of Horizon Scanning and Innovation in the CCD programme.
A chemist at heart – even Brian’s hobbies are science focused! He is a keen home brewer building equipment and carrying out experiments to make beer from the grain, with an enjoyable outcome (usually).
Brian is based in the Farnborough office but is regularly in London meeting with Government Officials to progress activities that benefit Members. He will happily travel to meet with Members to get a better understanding of how best to focus activities around their needs.
Interested in finding out more about joining ADS? Find out about all the benefits
Already an ADS Member? Find out more about activities, programmes and opportunities by contacting Brian.firstname.lastname@example.org