At the beginning of February ADS submitted a response to the Committee on Climate Change’s (CCC) call for evidence on the sixth carbon budget. The responses they received will help shape the recommendation on the level of the sixth carbon budget. This is due to be published in September 2020.
What are carbon budgets?
What did ADS include in its response?
What specific asks were there?
- Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI) funding:
- an uplift of £30m to £180m per year in order to sustain core technologies.
- an additional budget allocation of £150m per year to 2036 to deliver third-generation, technologies through a UK aerospace electrification research programme.
- £100m per year, for five years, of Government investment to establish an infrastructure pilot for SAF. This would be matched by industry.
- Establishing a dedicated Office for Sustainable Aviation Fuels – similar in principle to the existing Office for Low Emission Vehicles.
2020 is a big year for Government and industry with COP26 taking place in Glasgow in November. We continue to engage with Government on our various policy and funding asks.
We’ll also be looking to work with members to showcase some of the great work being done in the aerospace sector to improve its carbon impact. If there is anything you want to share, please get in touch with Oliver Newton, Aerospace Policy Adviser.