From technology and exports, to apprenticeships and investment, the UK’s aerospace, defence, security and space sectors are vital to the UK’s growth.
The UK aerospace sector is world-leading, generating well-paid jobs, high-tech exports and sustainable growth across the country.
- Average annual earnings of £43,000, 42 per cent higher than the UK average
- 87% of aerospace jobs are located outside London and the South East.
- 94% of aerospace output is destined for export markets.
The UK is the second largest defence exporter in the world, which helps deliver the equipment and services our armed forces and security services need to safeguard national security and contributes to the UK’s economic prosperity.
- £2bn of funding for the UK’s future Combat Air capability, including the inspirational Tempest programme
- Average annual earnings of £36,500, 20 per cent higher than the UK average
- 65% of defence sector jobs are located outside London & South East
Security and Resilience
The UK’s security and resilience sector provides solutions to the challenges we all face today, from cyber security to products and services which address the threats of terrorism and all other aspects of national security. ADS is the only national trade association that represents the breadth of the security sector.
- Average annual earning of £37,100, 22% higher than the UK average
- The global security market is expected to reach a value of $167bn by 2025
- Over the last four years, total investment identified within the cyber security sector has exceeded £1.1bn
The UK’s space sector is at the cutting edge of exploring the universe and connecting people to the world around them.
- 40% of all small satellites currently in orbit were manufactured in the UK
- Wider GDP supported by UK satellite services is more than £300bn
- The UK Space Sector spent over half a billion pounds in 2016/17 on R&D
- All of the UK’s regions and nations are home to headquarters of space organisations