From technology and exports, to apprenticeships and investment, the UK’s aerospace, defence, security and space sectors are vital to the UK’s growth.
The UK aerospace sector is world-leading, generating well-paid jobs, high-tech exports and sustainable growth across the country.
- Average annual earnings of £43,000, 45 per cent higher than the UK average
- Each new generation of aircraft is on average 20% more fuel efficient
- 90% of aerospace jobs are located outside London and the South East.
- 95% of aerospace output is destined for export markets.
The UK is the second largest defence exporter in the world, which helps deliver the equipment and services our armed forces and security services need to safeguard national security and contributes to the UK’s economic prosperity.
- The UK holds an estimated 12% of the global market share of defence exports (2017)
- £2bn of funding for the UK’s future Combat Air capability, including the inspirational Tempest programme
- Average annual earnings of £35,000, 18 per cent higher than the UK average
- 65% of defence sector jobs are located outside London & South East
Security and Resilience
The UK’s security and resilience sector provides solutions to the challenges we all face today, from cyber security to products and services which address the threats of terrorism and all other aspects of national security. ADS is the only national trade association that represents the breadth of the security sector.
- Protecting on average the 385,000 fans that attend games across Premier League matches every week with innovative high footfall screening technologies
- With over 800 cyber security companies in the UK making the UK’s digital infrastructure more secure
- Keeping UK residents safe on 71.9 million visits abroad in 2018 through the deployment of advanced aviation security technologies at key airports
- Providing security measures and expertise to international major events, such as the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
The UK’s space sector is at the cutting edge of exploring the universe and connecting people to the world around them.
- 40% of all small satellites currently in orbit were manufactured in the UK
- Commercial vertical and horizontal launch demand is worth a potential £3.8 billion to the UK economy over the next decade
- The UK Space Sector spent over half a billion pounds in 2016/17 on R&D
- All of the UK’s regions and nations are home to headquarters of space organisations